The story of the Tiger family is complicated and convoluted. The German Army’s desire for a heavy tank dates back to before the outbreak of war, and the development process that led to the tanks which eventually took to the
The Tiger I was 3547mm wide and this posed a problem for its strategic mobility. The most efficient way to move tanks long distances during the 1940’s was by train, but the Tiger, with its operational tracks, was too wide.
Although the gas turbine is a fairly old invention it does not appear to have been considered for tanks until about 1945, when the first prototype – on a Jagdtiger – was developed. Contrary to popular belief the first experimental
It might seem odd to find a post about the Panzer III on the Tiger Collection Blog, but in fact during the early days of the Tiger’s service the Germans used the two tanks closely alongside each other. Building on
In the Tiger Collection you may notice that the exterior of the Jagdtiger and Production Tiger II have an unusual texture. This is Zimmerit – a protective layer to decrease the magnetic properties of the tank’s armour.
For the new Tiger Collection, The Tank Museum’s Jagdtiger and Tiger II with pre-production turret were repainted to show how they looked when they were captured in 1945. Both tanks are now painted in RAL 7028, known as Dunkelgelb.
The Tiger II with Production turret on display in the Tiger Collection was built in July 1944 by Henschel and given Fahrgestell Nummer (chassis number) 280093.
Both turrets used on the Tiger II were designed and built by the Krupp company. So why are they so often called the ‘Porsche’ and ‘Henschel’ turrets?
The Tank Museum’s Jagdtiger has chassis no. 305004. It was one of eleven (plus an unarmoured prototype) which were fitted with the Porsche suspension system.
In 2008 the US Army Ordnance Museum gave the Elefant a cosmetic restoration, filmed as part of the Canadian documentary series Tank Overhaul. This is the first part of the 50 minute programme. Click here to watch Part 2.