Tank construction has always been a labour intensive, expensive process. The need to manufacture far larger numbers during the Second World War saw the warring powers adapt existing factories for the job.
These pictures have invariably been identified as an improvised Tiger recovery vehicle, photographed in Italy in 1944, but is it? Renowned tank historian David Fletcher examines the myth.
The story of the Tiger family is complicated and convoluted. The German Army’s desire for a heavy tank dates back to before the outbreak of war, and the development process that led to the tanks which eventually took to the
The Tiger Collection features the memories of a number of veterans who fought in and against the Tiger. This short series takes a more detailed look at their experiences. This third post focuses on two British soldiers, Ernest Slarks and Ken
It might seem odd to find a post about the Panzer III on the Tiger Collection Blog, but in fact during the early days of the Tiger’s service the Germans used the two tanks closely alongside each other. Building on
The Tiger II with Production turret on display in the Tiger Collection was built in July 1944 by Henschel and given Fahrgestell Nummer (chassis number) 280093.
The Tiger Collection features the memories of a number of veterans who fought in and against the Tiger. This short series of “Second World War Veteran” articles takes a more detailed look at the experiences of both British and German
Both turrets used on the Tiger II were designed and built by the Krupp company. So why are they so often called the ‘Porsche’ and ‘Henschel’ turrets?
In 2008 the US Army Ordnance Museum gave the Elefant a cosmetic restoration, filmed as part of the Canadian documentary series Tank Overhaul. This is the first part of the 50 minute programme. Click here to watch Part 2.
While Tiger 131 was the first intact Tiger I to be taken back to Britain, it was not the first to be knocked out. This occurred several months earlier, by the 17th/21st Lancers.