Part IV of the story of Tiger 131’s restoration covers the final stages of work on the hull, including interior details and fitting the engine.
One of the most distinctive features of the Tiger family is the interleaved and overlapping road wheels.
Most members of the Tiger family were armed with an anti-tank gun optimised for armour penetration. However there was one exception. The Sturmtiger was fitted with a 38cm calibre weapon that had a very different role.
The driver’s hatch on Tiger 131 was replaced in May 1943 by the British after capture. The result of this early repair was that Tiger 131 spent several years with an incorrect part fitted.
New research has added another chapter to the story of The Tank Museum’s most famous exhibit, Tiger 131.
As a boy, Dale Oscroft would encourage his father John to talk about his wartime experiences in the Sherwood Foresters.
Evidence suggests that there were four key strikes to Tiger 131 before it was captured, although the order they landed can never be known.
We now believe that Tiger 131 was abandoned during fighting on Point 174 on 24 April 1943, when German tanks counter attacked the 2nd Sherwood Foresters.
The Tiger combat debut took place in August 1942 on the Eastern Front. It was not a success, with three of the four breaking down.
Every effort has been made over the years to identify an Allied tank that was similar to the German Tiger. None have ever really been successful although a few tanks came close, notably the T1E1.