The earliest documentary evidence from The Tank Museum Archive on the subject of Tiger 131 tells us that the tank was recovered from the battlefield by Major Douglas Lidderdale of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers on 7 May 1943.
Three days after the attack on Djebbel Djaffa, B Squadron of 48 RTR was detached from 21 Tank Brigade and sent to Guhriatt El Atach, where they would support an infantry attack on Point 174.
Evidence suggests that there were four key strikes to Tiger 131 before it was captured, although the order they landed can never be known.
We now believe that Tiger 131 was abandoned during fighting on Point 174 on 24 April 1943, when German tanks counter attacked the 2nd Sherwood Foresters.
Part II of the story of the restoration of Tiger 131 to running order. After disassembly, restoring and reassembling the hull and suspension was the next step.
Tiger 131’s restoration was a long and expensive project, but one that would make the vehicle the most infamous tank in the world. This article starts from the beginning of the restoration progress – the disassembly of the tank.
For the new Tiger Collection, The Tank Museum’s Jagdtiger and Tiger II with pre-production turret were repainted to show how they looked when they were captured in 1945. Both tanks are now painted in RAL 7028, known as Dunkelgelb.
Two surviving German Tiger Tank veterans met their British counterparts at the opening of the new Tiger Collection exhibition at The Tank Museum. There were emotional scenes as the veterans – all in their nineties – met each other more
After six weeks of building work, the Tiger exhibition is gradually taking shape. With the painting of the space complete, the repainting of the Tiger II Porsche and Jagdtiger can commence.
Tiger 131’s engine is undergoing some routine maintenance, to make sure it is in perfect working order in time for Tiger Day VII on 29 April.