Although the gas turbine is a fairly old invention it does not appear to have been considered for tanks until about 1945, when the first prototype – on a Jagdtiger – was developed. Contrary to popular belief the first experimental
It might seem odd to find a post about the Panzer III on the Tiger Collection Blog, but in fact during the early days of the Tiger’s service the Germans used the two tanks closely alongside each other. Building on
In the Tiger Collection you may notice that the exterior of the Jagdtiger and Production Tiger II have an unusual texture. This is Zimmerit – a protective layer to decrease the magnetic properties of the tank’s armour.
For the new Tiger Collection, The Tank Museum’s Jagdtiger and Tiger II with pre-production turret were repainted to show how they looked when they were captured in 1945. Both tanks are now painted in RAL 7028, known as Dunkelgelb.
In Part One of the German veteran recollections, Waldemar Pliska and Wilhelm Fischer described their awe at seeing the new Tiger and what it was like in battle. In Part Two they share what it was like to live in
The Tiger II with Production turret on display in the Tiger Collection was built in July 1944 by Henschel and given Fahrgestell Nummer (chassis number) 280093.
The Tiger Collection features the memories of a number of veterans who fought in and against the Tiger. This short series of “Second World War Veteran” articles takes a more detailed look at the experiences of both British and German
Two surviving German Tiger Tank veterans met their British counterparts at the opening of the new Tiger Collection exhibition at The Tank Museum. There were emotional scenes as the veterans – all in their nineties – met each other more
Both turrets used on the Tiger II were designed and built by the Krupp company. So why are they so often called the ‘Porsche’ and ‘Henschel’ turrets?
The Tank Museum’s Jagdtiger has chassis no. 305004. It was one of eleven (plus an unarmoured prototype) which were fitted with the Porsche suspension system.